Old June 19th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default Looking for simple antenna solution

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:05:29 -0500, "Bob D."
wrote:

After years off the air, I'm ready to get back on. I want to keep it simple
though. I picked up a 6m/2m/440 Yaesu VX-7 HT at Dayton and I plan to use it
for both base and mobile. I want an antenna that covers these 3 bands that I
can mount off the side of my 80 ft. tower. (Off the side, because there is
no way I can climb to the top anymore!) I'm not concerned with the gain, I
just want something better than the rubber duck. Any product and mounting
recommendations?

Bearing in mind that most HTs suffer from IM (probably due to lack
front end selectivity), you might want to avoid wideband antennas such
as discones. Even on relatively narrow antennas, you may still
experience nuisance mute opening if you do not use CTCSS on monitored
channels.

Owen