Old June 19th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Voltage vs. Current Balun - OCF Dipole

I just installed a Off Center Fed dipole where one leg is 45 feet in
length and the other is 90 feet long. When I checked
the balun feedpoint (SO-239) with my DC ohm meter, there was a circuit.
The manufacter states its a 6:1 ratio balun and after my
test, I assume its a trifilar type. The antenna truly is "no tune" on
the 80/75, 40, 20, 17, 12 and 10 meter bands.
60, 10 and meters are all within the range of the internal tuner of my
radio.

But I was wondering what impact using a voltage balun (assuming I am
correct) has? What would be the effect of changing to a
current balun in this design? Does the OCF dipole require feeding with
balanced voltage as opposed to balanced current?
Also, I've read things about voltage baluns indicating they can't
handle a mismatch well - is that true?

Thanks,
Scott, WU2X