Old June 19th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne

Default PVC for antenna construction ?

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

A friend is telling me that PVC has crappy electrical characteristics
and having my wire against it for the entire antenna not good.

I've been making simple VHF antennas with small diameter PVC pipe cut
and glued to make the rigid structure and then taping 12ga copper wire
to the PVC to make the elements.

Should I switch to something else ?

Two possibilities, if you think the PVC is detrimental.

1. Try hollow fiberglass blank arrows. (if the available length is long
enough) They used to be available at certain sporting goods stores, or you
could buy an arrow and cut the ends off. I made a super 2m quad with this
technique. I just used a 1x1 wood boom with two snug fitting holes drilled
at right angles, and slipped/centered the arrows used for spreaders.

2. Wrap the entire PVC in aluminum foil, and tape in place. From
experience, I know this works at 10 and 15 meters when wrapped around bamboo
poles.

--Wayne