Old June 19th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson

Default Voltage vs. Current Balun - OCF Dipole

On 19 Jun 2006 07:29:25 -0700, wrote:

If the current is unbalanced, this would mean current is likely to flow
on the coax then? So perhaps the reason a voltage balun is used is to
merely transform the impedance 6:1 and purposely allow the feedline to
radiate? The maker of the antenna (Buckmaster) doesn't indicate any
particular length of 50 ohm coax be used, but I saw a huge change in
SWR and bandwidth on the upper bands when I lowered the antenna by 5
feet. Maybe this explains the behavior I saw.

-Scott

Scott,

Here's some information you may find helpful:

http://w2du.com/r2ch21.pdf

and

http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/Articles/Baluns.pdf

73,

Danny, K6MHE

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one
useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three
or more is a congress. - John Adams

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://www.k6mhe.com/