Old June 19th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default BNC power capacity

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:58:13 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:17:42 -0500, Chris W wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:11:07 -0500, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

How much power can a BNC handle? rg58 coax, 1.3:1 swr,
say, 54mhz, indoor connection. I'm using a BNC jumper between
my amp and my antenna switch. I use BNC so I can d/c quickly
when a t-storm comes in the area.

Comfortable at 100W, I doubt more would be reasonable.

Allison

I don't know that answer either but I'm sure it is higher than that. I
have seen coaxial relays with SMA connectors that can handle 400 watts
at a higher frequency than 50 Mhz. Also get an N connector and a BNC
connector and do a close comparison of the pin and the shield inside the
connector. They look pretty close. In fact an N male will connect to a
BNC female, just no way to hold them together. The other way around
doesn't work because the BNC retention housing gets in the way.

And how much power can RG58 take? You have to look at the connector
and cable as a whole not their parts.

Doesn't it fail either by flashover or exceeding its permitted
temperatures?

If so then you will need to know the frequency, SWR, loss, duty cycle
etc to work it out, won't you?

Owen