Old June 20th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom

Default software defined radios

wrote:
I've just been debating buying a small portable SW
radio as I've gotten completely rid of TV and cable TV
and thinking maybe SW radio might be a good replacement
for it.

Sounds like it best for me to get a dedicated stand
lone small SW radio

I mistakenly assumed I could put some software on my
laptop and make a SW radio out it

Well, SW is no equivalent to TV but it can be entertaining and
educational, in different ways. If you post a message requesting advice
on selecting a radio, you'll get lots! For not a lot of money, I would
suggest the Degen DE1103/Kaito KA1103 or the more attractive Eton E5,
all from the same factory with much in common, and in ascending order
of price.

Good luck!

Tom