Old June 20th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewithother.

SNIPPED

Poor Markie, so bitter that kids can pass morse code tests and he is
too stupid to pass one.

NO! Don't label another person! It is wrong to label! Particularly when you do
not know any of his/her life's circumstances.

I said some people have difficulty learning or learning one particular subject.

It is reported that Albert Einstein had difficulty learning Calculus. The man
was a Physics genius but needed help with advanced math.

I hold a degree in engineering and have completed four years of seminary, but I
have not been able to learn conversational SPANISH. [About two years after
ordination the Cardinal requested that I learn Spanish at the seminary . After
two months the instructor approved my withdrawal from the class. I could learn
vocabulary, how to read, write and the grammar for spanish, but my ear does not
hear spanish. Total immersion in a Spanish speaking community would be the way
for me to learn.]

I still say, anyone who can learn an/the alphabet can learn Morse Code. For
those with difficulty, the solution to the issue is teaching METHODs not the
student's difficulty. Any alphabet is recognizing sound patterns. Words are
simply combinations of sound patterns.

For 'an_old_friend' I would begin by teaching an alphabet of SOUND PATTERNS. No
requirement for speed. Just focus on sound patterns. Keep it very simple. Each
two hour lesson would focus on no more than 7 letters until well heard. Then
move to SOUND PATTERNS that are close to or similar to those [s]he has learned
and is mastering. [Example: learn the sound patterns for 'A', 'W', and 'J'
repeat until they are instantly recognized. Then move on to 'N' 'D', 'B', etc.
Don't count 'dots' or 'dashes' but hear sound patterns.]

The next two hour session, one week later, would begin with a review then add
'T, M, O' followed by 'E, I, S, H'. Drill sound patterns. Then end the session
by sending simple words using the 1/2 of the alphabet that has been studied.
Speed is NOT a requirement! Accuracy is! If Farnsworth timing at 18 wpm is a
roadblock, then change practice timing to 13 wpm or 10 wpm or 7 1/2 wpm or 5 wpm
or 3 wpm. SPEED is NOT a REQUIREMENT! Accuracy is!

The next two weeks complete the alphabet. Week five would include the numbers
and common punctuation. [5 sound character patterns and 6 sound character patterns].

Having said all this, my defense of CW is not any legal requirement. It is
simply the best way to work rare DX. Much less power required. Much less
bandwidth required. Much more discernible [copyable] in a pile. And, it is fun!

/s/ DD, W1MCE