Old June 20th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old freind

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewith other.

Dave wrote:
SNIPPED

Poor Markie, so bitter that kids can pass morse code tests and he is
too stupid to pass one.

NO! Don't label another person! It is wrong to label! Particularly when you do
not know any of his/her life's circumstances.

Wismen labels everybody except himself of course

I still say, anyone who can learn an/the alphabet can learn Morse Code. For
those with difficulty, the solution to the issue is teaching METHODs not the
student's difficulty. Any alphabet is recognizing sound patterns. Words are
simply combinations of sound patterns.

For 'an_old_friend' I would begin by teaching an alphabet of SOUND PATTERNS. No
requirement for speed. Just focus on sound patterns. Keep it very simple. Each
two hour lesson would focus on no more than 7 letters until well heard. Then
move to SOUND PATTERNS that are close to or similar to those [s]he has learned
and is mastering. [Example: learn the sound patterns for 'A', 'W', and 'J'
repeat until they are instantly recognized. Then move on to 'N' 'D', 'B', etc.
Don't count 'dots' or 'dashes' but hear sound patterns.]

prehaps you are trying to be helpfull

you are coming off insulting and condesnding
that metodalogy was tried and my ears lose the older set of patterns
in a few day before I get a hold of the next set

Having said all this, my defense of CW is not any legal requirement. It is
simply the best way to work rare DX. Much less power required. Much less
bandwidth required. Much more discernible [copyable] in a pile. And, it is fun!

fun for you the migraine headaches I get listening to any of it is not
fun none enjoys pain on that level

yes I might be ableto learn well enough now with only a receive or
tranmited test (and if I were going to try it would be to send) so I
don't have to listen to it

you have fun with fine go for it
Bear in mind I think Mose and esp the attiudes around are bad for the
ARS but I support your freedom to disagree and even to just do
something I consider nonproducitve just for sheer joy of it

I expect the same however for myself

/s/ DD, W1MCE