Old June 20th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ben Jackson

Default Tradeoffs of filtering exciter vs after PA

I'm still working on my HF APRS beacon idea (25MHz-14.85MHz = 10.151)
and I've done some experiments using a 74HC86 quad XOR with one gate for
each oscillator and one as a mixer. In spice simulations, the '86 as a
mixer produces lots of products resulting from the odd harmonics of the
inputs, some of which are close to or below the 10.151MHz I want. If I
run that output through a 2nd order Butterworth 30m bandpass filter I
get a clean result.

My question is about the tradeoffs between filtering the exciter output
to the PA vs filtering after the PA. Obviously a post-amp filter has
to handle more power, but has the opportunity to eliminate amplifier
distortion. But eliminating unwanted inputs to the amp also reduces
unwanted outputs.

Are there rules of thumb for suppression of unwanted signals at each
stage of an amplification chain?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/