Old July 22nd 03, 01:23 AM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:21:50 -0500, Phil Witt wrote:

Shipping them together should save some. I was surprised today when I
shipped a rather large box, weight 21 lbs., from Alabama to Arkansas
for only $12.49. That was from a UPS/Mailboxes. The USPS cost was like
$19.00 for the same. They said they typically run about 10% higher
than the UPS terminal counter prices. The cheapest way to ship is from
someplace that has a UPS account with daily pickup service. A friend,
maybe.

Still, shipping ain't cheap.

Shipping heavy items used to be cheapest by Greyhound Package
Services, but the drawback was that you had to take it to the bus
depot when you were the shipper and pick it up there when you were
the recipient. I don't even know if they do that any more.

Just this afternoon I shipped something from the UPS Store, the new
name for Mailboxes. Shipping was $12 and packing was $4. The "do
it yourself" cost would have been about $9 for shipping and $3 for
the right size box and packing (I've packed many a shipment so I do
know how to do it properly). The drawback is that I would have had
to drive about 15 miles to the UPS Service Center (it's 95 degrees
out today in the blazing sun and I would have to drive into the sun
to get there) versus the UPS Store about three minutes away locally.
It was worth the extra few bucks.

Don't ask why the FedEx truck drove up to the UPS Store just as I
was leaving.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest