Old October 6th 03, 12:34 AM
Nick C

Walter, you have a 500ft loop?? Wow.. can you provide pictures at some
point? I'd love to see this in action. I'm using a 100ft longwire that is
end-fed at this point by a matching balun. I use RG8 low-loss coax. I'm
tempted to try the more expensive Belden 9913 -- but it's about $100/50ft.

Also, I know that the greater length of antenna will increase gain, but
isn't the noise gain almost as much? (i.e. does a greater length of wire
ensure greater reception?)

-Nick
n7zya

"Walter" wrote in message
om...
Ladder Line or Coax For Reception only?

I have a 500 foot SkyWire Loop Antenna, about 30 feet off the ground
and I have it fed with Coax. I will only be using it to receive
Shortwave broadcasts from 2Mhz to 30Mhz. It will never be used to
transmit.

My questions are :

(1) Will using a Ladder Line instead of Coax improve my reception?

(2) If so, where do I change to coax? Or do I just run the Ladder line
into the house and straight to the receiver?

(3) What about electrical interference since the ladder line isn't
shielded?

Thanks.