Old July 21st 03, 02:12 AM
Michael

"Joel" wrote in message
I have a few nice rigs I come across at hamfests and they always have
missing screws because the threads are stripped. I was wondering if

anyone
had any success in filling the holes with something. I'm have had limited

I use a pop-rivet type tool that installs a threaded insert into the
aluminum or sheet steel housing. I don't know the brand of insert that I
use but there is a similar type shown here at
http://www.rivetsplus.com/manufactur.../dl_insert.asp

The HeliCoil works really great for stripped threaded inserts in block
aluminum or steel but don't seem to do much good at all when it is just a
casing screw in a sheet metal box that is stripped. Often when I come
across one stripped hole I will drill them all out and replace the entire
set. Hope this helps.

Michael Beaveridge
VE7YXX