Old June 22nd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default BNC power capacity

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:16:57 +0000 (UTC), (Gene
Gardner) wrote:

I guess this is a case where one doesn't ask....he just does it!
I have a 20 Meter Hi-Q Halo-type loop (6' dia) hanging from a tree
limb about 40' high. I needed lighter weight so I used RG-58 about
75' long....well-matched at the antenna for very little SWR.
I have been using this with 1 Kw SSB peak for about 10 years with
no problems...this includes reasonably long tune-up with full carrier.

So you are dissipating about 4W per foot of cable with key down 1kW
CW. Average power of voice with compression is about 13dB lower, or
about 200mW per foot.

Explains why it has worked ok, doesn't it!

If you dig into the numbers, about 25%+ of your transmit power is lost
in the line losses, which is a compromise you acceptaed for the
lighter weight line you needed.

Owen