Old June 23rd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Noise level between two ant types

Cecil Moore wrote:
But now let's allow signals to be introduced into the thread.
My dipole was arcing once per second at the coax connector.
I couldn't hear any signals. I estimate the signal to noise
ratio under those conditions to be zero. Would you disagree?

So now you are saying you were talking about arcs in connectors?
Talk about diversions!

You SPECIFICALLY proposed the noise came from millions of dust
particles hitting the antenna each second. RF noise generated directly
by charged particles hitting the antenna. No arcs, no corona according
to YOU. Not me!

I modified my dipole into a folded dipole. The arcing ceased
and I could then hear signals. I estimate the signal to noise
ratio was not zero any more. Would you disagree?

Well, I would agree you have a VERY screwed up system to start with if
you had a big antenna without a leak resistance that offered a high
resistance or reactance at radio frequencies.

I've said all from the very start no one should be so careless as to
float the antenna.

I really question the IQ of anyone who asserts that eliminating
arcing in a system doesn't reduce the noise. I assume you are
not a member of MENSA. :-)

Nice tactic. Attack the other guy while totally changing what you
originally claimed.
Of course anyone can read back and see you were the one who claimed the
noise was from particles hitting the antenna.

Anyway, I'm glad you realized your folded dipole nonsense about the dc
loop stopping p-static from particle noise as they hit the antenna was
just that, and now you realize it is charge differences and arcing and
forms of arcing that causes the problems.

Pretty soon you will realize the largest charge difference is from the
air and things in the air around the antenna and earth that causes the
problem, and that grounding the antenna doesn't reduce that problem.

There's hope for you yet!

73 Tom