Old June 23rd 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default BNC power capacity

Ken Bessler wrote:
How much power can a BNC handle? rg58 coax, 1.3:1 swr,
say, 54mhz, indoor connection. I'm using a BNC jumper between
my amp and my antenna switch. I use BNC so I can d/c quickly
when a t-storm comes in the area.

Ken,

The connector itself is dimensioned almost the same as a type N
connector.

The limiting factor assuming a good quality properly installed BNC
connector is the cable, not the connector.

If you use a good high temperature cable in a dry room-temperature
environment 500 watts extended time with carrier is a reasonable amount
of power. That power increases quite a bit for shorter duty cycles.

We used BNC's on a 3500 watt 30 uS RF pulse generator at 40.68MHz, and
I've used them with CW and SSB with good Teflon cables at 1500 watts on
30 MHz as quick disconnects.

If you carefully exam the BNC you will see it is nearly identical to a
type N in air gap to ground and pin diameter and penetration depth. The
real problem is the cable, not the connector.

73 Tom