Old June 23rd 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Noise level between two ant types

wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
But now let's allow signals to be introduced into the thread.
My dipole was arcing once per second at the coax connector.
I couldn't hear any signals. I estimate the signal to noise
ratio under those conditions to be zero. Would you disagree?

So now you are saying you were talking about arcs in connectors?

I have been very careful from the very beginning of this
thread to specify that the problem I was trying to solve
was arcing at the coax connector. You said a folded dipole
cannot solve that problem. You were wrong.

You SPECIFICALLY proposed the noise came from millions of dust
particles hitting the antenna each second. RF noise generated directly
by charged particles hitting the antenna. No arcs, no corona according
to YOU. Not me!

Sorry, I even said the arcing scorched my carpet when the coax
connector was disconnected. Anyone who wants to check the history
of this thread can verify that. Your assertion that a folded dipole
wouldn't change the noise level was 100% false.

Nice tactic. Attack the other guy while totally changing what you
originally claimed.

If you can prove that I changed what I originally claimed, I
will write you a check for $1000. From the very beginning of
this argument, my problem was arcing. You asserted that eliminating
arcing didn't change the noise level. You were wrong. Anyone who
wants to can go back and verify those facts can do so.

Of course anyone can read back and see you were the one who claimed the
noise was from particles hitting the antenna.

Yes, it was, and it caused arcing which I needed to eliminate.
The folded dipole eliminated the problem contrary to what you
asserted.

... and that grounding the antenna doesn't reduce that problem.

Grounding the antenna eliminated the arcing which was my problem.
Sorry about that, Tom, but your ignorance has been exposed. Seems
you need a tutorial on how a DC arc can convert energy to RF
noise.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp