Old June 24th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lee

Default Magloop and ground mat blues.....

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Lee,
Signals within 1000 miles come through strongest because they are
nearer to you.

Agreed....

Also, with an antenna height of only 3 feet, low-angle reception and
radiation suffers from being screened by buildings and other
obstructions in the vicinity of the antenna.

Also agreed....

At low heights there is a considerable power loss induced in the soil
under the antenna. Your radial system is of little use. Only a large
metal sheet placed on the soil surface would be effective.

Yes...

Your buried radial system is an overkill. If it was removed you would
probably notice no difference in performance. But the radials will
perform an excellent service if you should later wish to erect a
vertical antenna above them.

That was what the groundmat was for originally, but my neighbours didn`t
like it, so, down it came....hence the magloop...

An increase in height will result in better low-angle DX. Increasing
height to only to 8 or 10 feet should produce a noticeable
improvement. And loss in the ground will be negligible.

I`ll try that Reg, i just wasn`t sure above which height would be of little
or no advantage, vertical....
but if the loop were horizontal then halfwave at the lowest frequncy i
suppose!!

To get it above ALL low-angle obstructions, fix it to your house
chimney. ;o)

No chimney Reg :-/

Thanks.....

Lee.....G6ZSG......