Old June 24th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

Default SuperStar 3900 frequencies?

"Peter" wrote in message
"Dr.Death" wrote...
"Peter" wrote...

I get the impression that this may have been a Troll post, but it
really
is a valid point.

It is far too common to refer to a broadcast band by the modulation
method
used rather than the
band of frequencies used. Here in the UK we refer to those radio
broadcast bands as "MW"
(Medium Wave) and "VHF" (Very High Frequency). These bands are also
commonly referred to as
"AM" and "FM" simply because the MW band uses Amplitude Modulation and
the
VHF band uses
Frequency Modulation.
We also have a band called "LW" (Long Wave), which also uses AM.

Regardless of the wave length, you can transmit an AM, FM, SSB or CW
signal.

As long as the law permits it :~)

Our MW and LW bands are both used with AM, our VHF band uses FM.
Technically it is possible to
use any mode on the frequencies, but not legally.
Because such bands are always used with AM or FM, they often get referred
to by the mode
used... which can be misleading.

We are only allowed AM and SSB on 11 meters in the US, but many so called
export radios have FM though rarely used and cw mode for the supposed 10
meter radios that hams would never buy and easily convert to cover 10, 11,
and 12 meters.

MW, LW and VHF are just different frequencies.

Bands of frequencies.

I worded it wrong, but thats what I meant to say.

I don't know how many people in the UK still listen to MW or LW when VHF
broadcasts, using FM, provide much clearer audio and stereo broadcasts.

There are always holdouts on dying modes of communications. The "CW vs. no
CW test" war is raging on in the US as an example.

Regards,

Peter.

Cheers!