Old June 24th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. Mc Laughlin

Default Noise level between two ant types

Dear Jim Pennino WB6DKH:

Well said, and yet here we are over 100 messages latter (even with a
Cecil filter) with strange contentions still going on. It has become
apparent that this is a religious debate and it is time for additional
filtering.

To supplement my message of June 7, 2006:
One should provide continuity to earth from as many elevated conductors
as possible. It is sometimes difficult to do this with guy wires that are
"broken up" with insulators.
Location is an important factor with respect to which local,
non-man-made noise sources dominate. In Toledo, Ohio and Georgia it might
be one thing and in the Arizona desert quite a different thing.
Time and local weather is also an important factor. Lighting discharges
off of, or towards, an antenna will dominate everything else.
Having spent the last 73% of my life in an academic setting involving
science and engineering where orthodoxy applies only (temporarily) to
verified physical laws, I now understand why wars are fought over which end
of the egg is cracked first. It has rounded out my education.

As Roy has pointed out: it important to observe to the readers who are
not participating that they should filter what they read with care.

Thank you Jim for interjecting your experience.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

snip

Umm, no, two different things.

If it were charge building somewhere and discharging it wouldn't have
the characteristics it does, which is random, continuous, of extremely
short duration, and at a very high rate.

When it gets bad, it is quite visible as very random "snow" on TV
channels 2 through 4 on an otherwise perfect picture.

The snow is spots of extremely short duration.

Arcing (my neighbor has an arc welder so I have something to compare
it to) shows up as lines. When watching TV while he is welding it
is very obvious from the visual "noise" when he trying to start an
arc on some rusty thing versus an established arc from the length
of the visual "noise".

This particular effect ONLY happens during low humidity on very
windy days.

The intensity of the snow changes very little with wind speed, the
duration not at all, but the rate changes drastically.

I took all the electromagnetic courses to get my BSEE and I'm a
pilot, so yes, I know about corona.

--
Jim Pennino