Old June 25th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Default rf burn

even if you aren't touching something you have a much larger surface area to
act as a capacitive path to ground for the rf. the small bird being a long
distance from ground and having a smaller area has much smaller capacitive
currents.

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

If I touch the coil in my tuner while transmitting I get a painful rf
burn. But a bird can perch on my antenna wire while I transmit 100
watts and it stays there seemingly without a care in the world. How
come?

although an over-simplification, the bird is not touching anything
else, (grounded)... but you are.