Old June 25th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

Default rf burn

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.com...
Frank Alforo wrote:
If I touch the coil in my tuner while transmitting I get a painful rf
burn.
But a bird can perch on my antenna wire while I transmit 100 watts and it
stays there seemingly without a care in the world. How come?

You could probably hang by one hand from a 20 kV power
line and be OK as long as you didn't complete a current
path to another wire or ground.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

You should have seen the TV educational channel where in some countries they
have a basket type trolley that men are put in and hung by helicopter on the
multi megavolt lines. They do wear some kind of suit that is conductive so
the charge will not affect their body so much.