Old June 26th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve N.

Default All Band Coax-fed Dipole ??????????

Ooooo Saw the call and had to comment...

I have a 40M inverted Vee up around 35 ft. . I have had out of state
contacts on 75, 40(DX), 30(DX), 17, 15, 10 and 6. Is it a "good" antenna?

I wish I had better, but it "works". Do I think it is a great antenna? No.
Do I think it can be called efficient on the other bands? No. Do I think
it has lots of lobes on the higher frequencies? Yes. If I can hear them, I
can usually work them. OK by me... Do I have room for better? No.
I got much more than what I paid for $0.00. You can probably do better with
a "fan-type" dipole. I keep thinking I should at least add 75M wires and
20M wires. When I have time... . . . . . . . . . . .

The antenna in question is similar and just as inefficient on some bands and
has many lobes on others. It'll get you on the air if this is what you want
/ can afford.

Dave... I used to talk with KC9DI on 2M. We'd say the calls as fast as we
could, just to confuse the random listener...(:-)

73, Steve, K9DCI

"KC1DI" wrote in message
The BuxComm Antenna Company sells what it calls an All Band Coax-fed
Dipole.

http://www.commparts.com/catalog/pro...ffad91005875fb

It consists of 135 ft. of wire, a balun at the center feed point, and
the RG 8X coax transmission line. I don't claim to know a whole lot
about antennas, but this configuration is contrary to everything that I
have read about feeding mutiband antennas. When I wrote to the company
with a question about this, I received a response from K4ABT, Buck
Rogers himself. He attached to his note a section from the ARRL Antenna
Book, which seems to indicate that coax should not be used with this
type of antenna if one wants to use it as a multibander. I have a lot
of respect for Buck, based on his years of Elmering a lot of us through
his articles. But this one has me stumped. Any input will be
appreciated.

My opinion would be that you'd be much better off if you want a single
wire antenna fed with coax going with one of the off center fed models.
the SWR is much better on many bands than the center fed model.

But if you must have a center fed model then you'll need to feed
it with open wire line of some sort .. coax just is not going to perform
well for you in a single wire all band dublet. the Losses on most bands
are not good.

73 Dave kc1di