Old June 27th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint

Default Field day was great, even the phonies had fun and learned from us dinosaurs.

Not a very good attempt at trolling. I know absolutely no one like the
people you describe.

"J. D. B." wrote in message
I know what you mean about Elmering. Many of the new hams had to Elmer the
old CW only hams who had no idea how to operate a computer or even use all
the great new digital modes. Some of the dinos had trouble trying to
figure out the solid state rigs. They kept looking around for things to
tune like it was some boat anchor tube rig - LOL!!!

Everyone operated solid state and semi-solid state rigs with no problems.
All knew how to operate the computers.

It's amazing how the dinos can operate a key, but they can't get the hang
of a mouse. We eventually had to give up. Can't teach the old dogs new
tricks so the younger and newer hams used the digital modes and the old
dinos stuck to their CW.

Not at our site. It's the older hams that have the expertise in connecting
the computers to the radios.

Although the CW types were amazed how PSK31 could be copied even when you
could not hear the other station. They admitted that you can't copy CW if
you cannot hear it.

I think we made a lot of progress on FD. Finally the dinos admitted that
there are modes that are better and more capable than CW.

Any really experienced ham knows that each and every mode has conditions
under which it is "the best". Ever try to work PSK when the auroras are
running wild? Digital won't get through but CW will and occasionally even
voice will get through even though all the digital modes fail.

You must have a very weird club.

One old guy even said we should give up on the CW testing and test new
hams how to use a computer and the new digital modes and that was more
relevant for today's ham radio.

I doubt it. Computers are nice (I use one all the time) but they are not
one of the basics.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE