Old June 28th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default All Band Coax-fed Dipole ??????????

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:52:02 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Looking at the thing, I suspect that it is an OCF dipole. It isn't very
clear, but since they have a "L1" and an "L2", that gives us one clue.
Most center fed dipoles don't need an L1 and L2, because they assume
center fed, inherently 2 equal sides. Notice that they also say "this is
not a kit". That is a disclaimer that they put on their other OCF
antennas. Finally that 135 foot total length is typical of an OCF dipole.

Dis ting is quackin' like a big ol' OCF duck!

And as such it should be a serviceable antenna.

Funny that some people are dissing BuxComm on technical matters in this
case............ ;^)

Mike, we (you and I both) aren't sure of the detail, and that in
itself speaks heaps for the product information.

Whilst you have drawn a clue that the unspecified L1 and L2 suggest
that they are unequal, I drew a clue from the description of a
component as "centre insulator with eyehook", and if that product
detail is accurate (and we take the ordinary meaning of the word
centre to be a point that is equidistant from the extremities) then it
suggests centre fed.

I still think on balance of the published info, it is represented as
an "all-band dipole" on "80 through 10 meters" and appears to be a
135' centre fed dipole with a balun (of unknown type) and recommended
RG8/X feedline. Such a configuration will be likely to have high
system losses on at least some of the bands with practical lengths of
feedline as discussed earlier in the thread by several people.

Owen