Old June 28th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default All Band Coax-fed Dipole ??????????

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:09:55 -0700, Dan Richardson
k6mheatk6mhedotcom wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 05:47:18 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

Mike, we (you and I both) aren't sure of the detail, and that in
itself speaks heaps for the product information.

Owen,

I found some information for this atnenna at

www.stroobandt.com/antennas/windom/windom.html

On the design attributed K4BT showing the dimensions to be:

L1= 13.4 meters (43.965 ft.)
L2= 27.1 meters (88.915 ft.)

Buxcomm's site does list a large number of antennas that are described
as "Windom" antennas, but the one that is subject of this thread is
not explicitly described in the product information as a Windom of any
kind, or as an off-centre fed dipole of any kind.

There is an apparent desire on the part of some to construct the case
that the subject antenna is a Windom on the basis of:
- designation of L1 and L2 on the diagram, although there are no
values stated to show that they are unequal;
- that elsewhere K4BT has described "coax fed Windoms".

There is nothing conclusive on the diagram at
http://www.commparts.com/catalog/ima...ts/8010ABD.gif to
suggest that this is a "coax fed Windom", though some infer that is
the case because of the L1, L2 designation though not values are
shown.

I argue that designation of a key component separating L1 and L2 as a
"center insulatore and eye hook" has more value than the undimensioned
L1, L2 designation.

What is becoming clearer, is that on the basis of the information
published on the commercial web site for this antenna, the buyer
cannot be sure of just what he is getting, much less how well it might
perform.

Owen