Old June 29th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
chuck

Default Noise level between two ant types

Cecil Moore wrote:
chuck wrote:
Based on that, it would seem the fairweather field can support corona
formation by itself.

Even though the fairweather current is 13 magnitudes below
the corona current?

My understanding is that a strong
electric field ionizes the air and leads
to formation of a corona. I imagine with
a sufficiently strong field, the corona
current could be in the pA range. At
least I can't imagine why not.

It occurs to me that the current due to charge redistribution could be
rather significant if numerous particles are striking the antenna in a
short time interval.

Maybe aggravated by one element of the dipole being grounded
and the other floating?

I can't comment on that, Cecil. I was
trying to keep the geometry simple with
a single vertical wire. A grounded
vertical wire in the fairweather field
will acquire a charge and charged
particles striking it should not change
the charge on it, but they will cause a
redistribution. That redistribution
doubtless produces a magnetic field as
additional charges flow to/from the earth.

It's a fascinating problem.

73,

Chuck