Old July 28th 03, 02:13 AM
Elmer E Ing

Oh boy -- lets assume an antenna is totally resistive -- 50 ohms or better
still a dummy load of 50 ohms that exhibits no inductance or capacitance.

Now since Power in watts = I squared R where I is the current and R is a
pure 50 ohm resistance
transpose and solve for I = square root of P over R

I get about 4.9 amperes RF current

now

E=I times R so 4.9 times 50 = 244 volts RF volts

That's what you should see at the antenna. Try that on old knucklehead.

With any inductive reactance or capacitive reactance --- different ball
game.

Gurus check my math please

Elmer E Ing

"Richard" anom@anom wrote in message

"Z.Z." wrote in message
Richard wrote:

He is wrongfully assuming that RF power output is equal to saying
12volts*100amps.
Assuming the rated output power is 1200 watts.
As I have dealt with radios for years, I know for a fact that this is
only an idiot's explanation.
He's big bad mister trucker trying to show off how smart he is.

I have tried to explailn it to him and he will not believe anything
other than what he has written.

Actually, he's probably low. That would be true only if the efficiency

of
the device is 100% and most of them are probably no where near that
efficient.

So explain how he's wrong, other than that?

He's mixing RF power with line power.
As I tried to explain it to him, if you were to put a voltmeter at the RF
connector and keyed down, you would not see 12 volts at 100 amps as he
claims.
In order to do that, you'd need an antenna cable an inch thick for the
center wire.
Plus the fact, that his theory suggests the antenna is receiving that much
juice, would ultimately fry the antenna every time you keyed down.
Standard RF coax such as RG8 does not handle more than a few amps at the
most simply for the fact of it's size.
Plus the fact that internal wiring of the amplifier would also have to be
capable of handling the extreme amperage.
I don't think circuit boards can handle it.
Let alone any transistors, resistors, or capacitors.
Do they even make a 1200 watt resistor?

I also tried to compare his theory with that of an inverter.
The rated output power is by no means any where near what the rated input
power is.
Obviously, to many people just do not understand the bare basics of
electronics and radios.