Old July 28th 03, 04:16 AM
Richard

"Elmer E Ing" wrote in message
news:VM_Ua.12050$ff.5596@fed1read01...
Oh boy -- lets assume an antenna is totally resistive -- 50 ohms or

better
still a dummy load of 50 ohms that exhibits no inductance or capacitance.

Now since Power in watts = I squared R where I is the current and R is a
pure 50 ohm resistance
transpose and solve for I = square root of P over R

I get about 4.9 amperes RF current

now

E=I times R so 4.9 times 50 = 244 volts RF volts

That's what you should see at the antenna. Try that on old knucklehead.

With any inductive reactance or capacitive reactance --- different ball
game.

Gurus check my math please

RF power is not electrical power.
As audio power is not electrical power.

Square root of P or 1200 watts in our case = 34.641
34.641/50 = 0.6928 amps.

E=IIR

(0.6928*0.6928)*50 = 23.99 volts.

Therfor, the wire can easily handle the power.
Use of a calculator helps.
Your theory was correct. The decimal point was not.