Old June 30th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default All Band Coax-fed Dipole ??????????

Michael Coslo wrote:

As a *very* loose definition of work, I would say that I would
expect an antenna that advertises itself as an "all band" would allow a
modern Transceiver to put our something like full power, that is, to not
fold back on power. Oh yeah, and to radiate something. I don't see a
tuner in that diagram, so take your pick whether they are assuming an
internal tuner.

Certainly there are a lot more stringent criteria. But that would
seem to suffice for many hams. 8^)

Indeed it does. Many are happy with an antenna that gives a low SWR on
all bands and radiates 1/100 of the applied power. You can work the
world with one watt of radiated power. On the other hand, give a ham an
efficient but poorly matched antenna that causes his rig to fold back
and produce only 10 watts, and he'll be an unhappy camper. So the first
antenna "works" but the second doesn't, even though the signal it
radiates is 10 dB stronger.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL