Old July 1st 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Radio call letters: What do they mean?

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Gerard M Foley" wrote in message
The old call signs, like WBZ, WTIC, WEAF, WJZ, WCAU, KDKA, WGY, WGN, WOO,
KYW, KOA, KFI didn't mean anything. The three and four letter call

signs
were shared with coastal stations, point-to-point stations and ships.
Broadcasters got what was left. WLIT, Lit Brothers Department Store in
Philadelphia was the first station I remember that had a call sign that
meant anything.

73

Broadcasters could get the calls originally assigned to ships for their
radio stations.

"The Tribune obtains the call letters WGN (World's Greatest Newspaper) from
Great Lakes skipper Carl D. Bradley."

http://wgngold.com/timeline/1920s1930s.htm

I'm not sure how it came about, but I seem to recall WOWO Ft. Wayne, IN saying
"Westinghouse Owned, Westinghouse Operated".

dxAce
Michigan
USA