Old July 1st 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default Shortwave is dead

wrote:
Mostly, garbage is being broadcast now - religion and boring news.
Shortwave is
nothing like it used to be. Listening to hams and ultilities is also
boring. More and
more broadcasters are dropping shortwave and going to either the
Internet, or AM.
Once "Voice of the Andes", which I regularly listened to, back in the
1960s and
1970s stopped broadcasting, and the BBC stopped broadcasting to the US,
I knew
shortwave was dead. So, what is the point of plopping down hundreds of
dollars
for new receivers - most receivers are basically the same and get the
same stations.
Why spend $500 for an Eaton **** E1, when one can spend $65 for a Degen
1103.

Some of us are news junkies and enjoy listening to utilitites. To us
they're not boring at all. Like you, I wouldn't spend $500 for an E1,
but I would happily spend that much or more for a tabletop receiver.