Old July 2nd 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default All Band Coax-fed Dipole ??????????

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:33:10 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:
. . .
I don't doubt that someone might come to a different conclusion, but
I think my reasoning is pretty sound. I modeled an equal length version
of this in 4nec, and it just doesn't work very well. OTOH, turn it into
an OCF dipole, and it is a different story. . .

How did you possibly determine what the balun input impedance was when
terminated with the impedances the antenna presented on the various
bands? How did you model the balun? It's almost certainly a "voltage"
balun which will force common mode current onto the feedline when
terminated with an asymmetrical load.

I inquired about the baluns on their wire antennas -- their antennas
feature 4-1 or 6-1 baluns, and got the following answer:

"There are NO RESISTORS, and our 4:1 BALUNs are CURRENT Balun.

As a matter of fact, all our baluns are CURRENT type. We also
make voltage baluns, however, they are sold on a per/order basis."

Bob
k5qwg

Because of the common mode
current, the outside of the feedline must be part of the model. Did you
model the antenna with various lengths and orientations of feedlines?

I don't believe that a valid model can be made of this type of antenna
without knowing and accounting for the major imperfections of the balun,
the common mode current it forces, and the feedline length and
orientation for the particular installation.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL