Old July 3rd 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default Affordable way for 1MHz - 4MHz capture and analysis??

i wouldn't touch something like this with a ham tranceiver. not enough
control or calibration.

also, now you are talking of 2 different things. a transmitter that is
sending the data/power, and your need to monitor for the presence of a
signal independently. for monitoring for the presence of a signal across a
bandwidth like that (really 570hz or is that 570khz??) you need something
like a spectrum analyzer with an appropriate wide band antenna, go check
with some emi testing labs for the type of equipment they use. you will
quickly learn that unless you are doing this in a shielded room there are
LOTS of signals in that range that will show up.

you also need to better state your requirements... 'duration and length' of
exposure are the same thing and do not describe the whole problem. you must
also measure the field strength (probably at a couple of locations) and
frequency in addition to time. it sounds like you are not familiar enough
with the terminology, equipment, or methods, to take on such a job that
could be related to safety... get professional rf safety help NOW or you may
need a professional lawyer in the future.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Specifically, the application is one which uses a HAM radio transciever
utilizing approx 20W-100W power and a Class E transmitter to drive
data signals and power from an external coil to a series of smaller
receiver coils which are implanted in biological tissue for biomedical
application. I have to police/enforce the research personnel to ensure
limits regarding std practices are not exceeded in regards to duration
and length of RF exposure fothe patient. Of course I need to do this
independently, because in this situation relying on their "good word"
or verbal agreement isn't sufficient. I have to be able to be able to
1.) determine if there is a 570Hz to 4MHz signal present, and 2.)
determine if it is encoded or modulated to carry the power and data
signals. Not up my alley exactly, but I need to get it done. If there
is an expansion card or USB interface device for PC, that would be
preferable to aquiring an entire HAM rig. Any help appreciated. - Lars

Bob Bob wrote:
A fast A/D front end on a PC, sampling at a minimum of 8MHz. Use the PC
as a DSP engine. I suspect that these would be available as a plug in
PCI card...

You can get an idea of what this is about by the plethora of sound card
based analysis systems now available (with a max sample rate of 44kHz or
thereabouts. Depending what you are doing and are real stingy a computer
controlled HF receiver and the soundcard interface might do it for you
too.

Wanna be a bit more specific of your requirements and application?

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion for capure and analysis that does not involve
thousands of dollars?