Old July 3rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default All Band Coax-fed Dipole ??????????

Mike Coslo wrote:
gravity wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

As a *very* loose definition of work, I would say that I would expect
an antenna that advertises itself as an "all band" would allow a modern
Transceiver to put our something like full power, that is, to not fold
back on power. Oh yeah, and to radiate something. I don't see a tuner in
that diagram, so take your pick whether they are assuming an internal

tuner.

if i bought a similar antenna, i'd assume i'd need a tuner. i mean i
needed
one with my 120 foot (60 + 60) foot doublet. you don't even need a real
fancy tuner, mine was a small Yaesu digital. it did have some
problems on
40 meters (high Z?).

That antenna *would* work okay with ladder line, and a tuner that
could handle the same.

I decided to do something really radical. I just sent off an email
to BuxComm to ask just what type of antenna it is....

Tech support at BuxComm emailed me back, and the antenna is indeed
*not* an OCF. It is an equal leg length antenna. My deduction was incorrect.

What an odd antenna! I was referred to a similar antenna in the ARRL
handbook, although I'll note that it used ladder line instead of a balun
and coax.

The response was very prompt and courteous, and although I could see
myself buying some of their other antennas, I think I'll pass on that
one! 8^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -