Old July 4th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default frequency meter

In article om, "Kirk"
wrote:

I have looked at used eqpt etc and kits. Most kits are partial kits.
How I wish Heath were still in business

Any recommendations for a frequency meter of good accuracy. I dont need
high frequency capability - a few MHz is good enough but I need good
accuracy.

Kirk-

Believe it or not, Heath did not go out of business. They just stopped
selling Heathkits!

How accurate is accurate? If one part per million is acceptable, many
counters will do that. If your requirement is better than that, look for
a counter with an oven-controlled crystal oscillator. If that still isn't
good enough, you may be able to obtain a Rubidium-controlled oscillator
(or GPS-controlled) to use as an external timebase.

If you are willing to spend the money, look at Agilent (HP) and Phillips
(Fluke) as sources. If you're looking for a bargain, then there are
several HP and Fluke counters that show up on eBay that should meet your
needs.

Examples are Fluke's 7220A, 7260A and 7261A. One of these with the
high-accuracy option might sell for around $75.

Another good one is the HP 5328, also available with the high-stability
option. I think this is the one that shows up in a military configuration
that includes the high-stability oscillator as well as a 500 MHz
pre-scaler.

Fred
K4DII