Old July 4th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Mike Monett Mike Monett is offline

Default Self-heating of crystal in inverter oscillator

Ben Jackson wrote:

Well, this might be the best advice I ever got from Usenet. I fought
every parameter in the 'HC86 inverter oscillator and lost. The fact
that it works great at 14.85MHz and the elegance of using up the extra
gates lured me in. The whole thing is very voltage sensitive (around
1Hz/mV at the output of the gate, making it very sensitive to Rs as
well). This might be due to the propagation parameters of the gate
varying substantially with temperature and voltage.

I built a Colpitts oscillator with a plain old 2N3904 and it hasn't
moved by more than a few Hz in the hour it's been on.

Thanks!

Ben Jackson

Hi Ben,

I have been following this interesting thread. Thanks for posting the data.

Could you do me a favor and post your 2N3904 schematic? I'd like to put it
in my SPICE Crystal Analysis program and see if it can verify the
performance you obtain. If you are interested, the paper is at

http://tinyurl.com/qpcoz

Regards,

Mike Monett