Old July 5th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default VHF signals

wrote in message
oups.com...
How far away from viewers are VHF signals typically broadcast?
(i.e. up to 1000 miles)

I'm guessing you are asking about "DX" or "DX'ing," the art, science and
hobby of long-distance communications. One good TV DX website is
http://www.w9wi.com/.

1000 miles is unlikely but not impossible. 100 miles is quite reasonable I
am 124 miles south of Mt Wilson, the transmitter site for Los Angeles TV,
and I get them more or less reliably with antennas about 30 feet above
ground. At that distance, the problem is not signal strength,
but it is being behind the "bump" caused by the curvature of the earth. Mt.
Wilson does me a big favor by being about a mile high.

Some years ago in Norfolk, Virginia, I watched a late-night movie from a
station in Buffalo NY, over 400 miles away. The picture was snowy, but good
enough to permit enjoying the movie. That was a rarity, as most nights
after that I saw little or nothing of that station.