Old July 6th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ron Walters Ron Walters is offline

Default Optibeam & LP antennas

Dave wrote:
I looked at their web site and did not see a 'Log Periodic'.

Their antennas seem to be Yagi based. A L-P is a driven array, not
parasitic, and broad banded so that the VSWR never exceeds a max value,
typically 1.7:1, ANYWHERE in the spectrum from 14 to 30 MHz in the
bandwidth you mentioned.

Do you have a model number?

/s/ DD W1MCE

Ron Walters wrote:

Would appreciate comments relative to the Optibeam Log Periodic
14-30MHz antennas, I am also considering the SteppIR antenna but I am
concerned with the mechanical and electric potential problems with
that antenna.
Getting on in age and tower climbing is s chore for me. Any
suggestions or comments?

Ron W4LDE

Dave,

Thanks for your comments, the Optibeam antenna model I was looking at is
the OB9-5 broadband antenna. The spec's seem good, low wind load and
looks like it would survive in the sunny south were we do get those darn
Hurricanes. I live in Central Floria. My TA-33 has gone through 4
storms with some very gusts of over 100 MPH and still preforms without
a change from the day I put it up back in 1988, almost 18 years, thats
service.

The other antennas I am looking at is the Summer XP504-6 LP that is
rated 13-54 MHz and the Cushcraft ASL2010. The gain figures look higher
than the Optibeam but I guess that its all relative.

Theres no doubt that the SteppIR 3- element is a great beam, but from
what I have read over the past few years since it first hit the market
is that there has been problems, both mechanical and electrical. That
fact frightens me, here I live in the lighting capital of the world and
also from time to time need to adjust to Hurricanes, if I didn't love
golf also I probably live future up north in SC or NC but thats not the
issue. In a few years my days climbing towers will get very difficult
and probable not to smart.

After looking at the choices one has in a multi-band antenna for 20-6
meters I have come to realize that the LP maybe my alternative for a
long term survivable antenna. You were right after looking at the
Optibeam it is not a LP like the Summer or Cushcraft.

What bothers me about the current LP offering is I do not see many
opinions or comments relative to this type of antenna, guess everyone
likes the new SteppIR and before its over I may re-think my choices.

Again thanks for the comment

73 - Ron W4LDE