Old July 10th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Al Klein Al Klein is offline

Default Email this to your Senators and Congressmen. make the FCC do the right thing.

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:20:37 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

While code is not the end-all and be-all, it still has its place in list of
communications methods. Let us go back to the auroral activity. The
various digital modes fail first. Voice holds up a little bit longer
getting distorted but sometimes still copyable. Code holds up a bit longer,
being still copyable when voice becomes too distorted. Under auroral
conditions, both voice and code fare better than digital.

Thanks for the memories. I enjoyed "the barrel" in the late '50s. No
one who works voice on aurora will ever forget what it sounds like. Or
forget working half-way across the country with 5 watts on 6 with a TV
antenna.

The major drawback to code is that it requires people to develop a skill
rather than being a matter of just slapping parts together.

The problem is that a lot of people think that all the "skill"
operating takes is being able to turn the equipment on. Even using an
appliance rig, it's easy to tell the appliance operators from those
who have developed some skill.

If we are going to attract new people to the service, we need to get into
the 21st Century and get the old farts away from the old code and tubes
crap.

I find that it is the "old farts" who are doing most of the exotic
activities. When I work PSK31, I come across many seniors working this mode
with the latest radios and computers.

I'll second that - from the old fart side.

Al - W2PMX