Old July 10th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Email this to your Senators and Congressmen. make the FCC do the right thing.

"J. D. B." wrote in message
Al, someone who passes a code test should be more proficient in code than
someone who cannot pass the code test. That simply makes that person
proficient in code, not necessarily a more proficient operator.

If they are proficient in code as well as other modes, then they are a more
proficient operator. The more you can do, the more proficient you are.

You may be able to use the code, but if you cannot use modern digital
methods, use sat communication, able to handle emergency communication,
able to set up digital networks and use them effectively, build modern
solid-state equipment, etc., then you are not a more proficient amateur
operator, you just are more proficient in code and that is not going to
help us much in the 21st Century.

Setting up digital networks may not be particularly practical in the early
days right after a large scale disaster. Satellite passes are short and if
you don't have internet access to look up pass times, you may be up the
proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle if you rely too much on that
form of communications. Even with the pass info, the passes are too short
to be useful for handling very much emergency communication.

As I said before, PSK31 can be copied when the human ear cannot even hear
the signal, if you cannot hear code, you cannot copy it period. So code
is no longer the be-all-end-all. Modern 21st communication methods have
replaced it.

Yes it is true that PSK31 can be copied when you cannot hear it. However,
it is useless when there are ionospheric disturbances that cause phase
shifts (solar flares with the attendent aurora come to mind). This happens
on a fairly regular basis. In addition, although the signal you are putting
out is low power, PSK31 has a fairly high power consumption requirement
since a computer is essential in the system. If you have limited power
resources, it may not be a wise choice.

While code is not the end-all and be-all, it still has its place in list of
communications methods. Let us go back to the auroral activity. The
various digital modes fail first. Voice holds up a little bit longer
getting distorted but sometimes still copyable. Code holds up a bit longer,
being still copyable when voice becomes too distorted. Under auroral
conditions, both voice and code fare better than digital.

Every single method has a valid place in the list of communications methods.
Every mode has its strong points and its weak points. In my opinion, hams
should be able to use as many modes as possible and that includes code.

The major drawback to code is that it requires people to develop a skill
rather than being a matter of just slapping parts together. Heck, I don't
any skill in soldering as I've soldered only about 4 items in my life but I
built both myself and my OM PSK31 interfaces in about 1/2 hour each. They
were two of those four items.

If we are going to attract new people to the service, we need to get into
the 21st Century and get the old farts away from the old code and tubes
crap.

I find that it is the "old farts" who are doing most of the exotic
activities. When I work PSK31, I come across many seniors working this mode
with the latest radios and computers. When I work VHF/UHF contests and look
up the call signs afterwards, it is mostly the experience hams that I run
across.

You have let your disdain for the code blind you to its merits. As I stated
above, EVERY mode has its strengths and weaknesses and its place in wireless
communications.

Dee, N8UZE