Old July 12th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Dave Dave is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that persondie?

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave wrote:

David G. Nagel wrote:

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Yep!! It happened once!

If CW had not existed at the time, how would things have
turned out differently? If the present GPS-based system
had existed at the time, how would things have turned out?
Which system is presently inferior and virtually obsolete?

C'mon Cecil, you've been licensed as long as I have. I Know you Know CW. Does
that mean we're virtually obsolete?

RE Titanic:

The same result would have happened. The ship hit an iceberg in poor visibility.
I don't think icebergs carry GPS transponders these days.

Now, the Titanic's GPS; does it have transponder capability? The older GPS units
do not. Anyway, after the crew slipped by the iceberg that ripped it open, the
radio op gets on the air and reports "SOS" or equivalent. The nearest ships
respond. Under conditions similar to 1914{?} the Titanic still sinks. Many
people still die. But, now we know to 20 feet exactly where the ship was when it
sank.

GPS won't make a difference. Neither will CW today.

I still enjoy CW.