Old July 13th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.swap,rec.radio.shortwave
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default Latest RADIOMART ebay scam!!!

gwatts wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
Unrevealed Source wrote:

4) Use only Paypal, with a credit card, to pay for your purchases.

That brings to mind a question: Is there any way to stop paypal from
insisting on using your linked bank account as its first choice?

Don't give them an account number in the first place.

Not practical, paypal cuts you off after you have made an accumulated
$2000 in payments. The only way they will let you exceed that limit is
if you tie a bank account to your paypal account.

Further, ebay encourages sellers not to sell to unconfirmed addresses.
The only way to confirm an address is to link a credit card, or confirmed
paypal account to your ebay account.

A few years ago I listened to a radio show called 'The Troubleshooter'
done by a guy named Tom Martino, and he's still going today. One thing
he always harped on, hard, was 'Never give anyone access to your bank
account beyond the checks you write.'

I agree with him. That is why I opened this account just for paypal. I
only keep $50 in the account, hence the problem.

Not health clubs, insurance
companies, utilities, car payments, rent, paypals, not anyone. My first
wife allowed the insurance company to automatically deduct our /monthly/
premium from our checking account and two days after she'd set that up
they took six months' worth and we were bouncing checks. We had to
close that account and I don't do business with that insurance company
any more. I'm also no longer married to her but that wasn't
precipitated by the bank fiasco.

Hardly a month goes by without hearing about something similar. It
might be difficult to not give Paypal your account info, especially if
you sell on eBay, but I'll never do it. I've considered setting up a
special account just for Paypal and keeping the balance very low but the
monthly low balance service charges

That is exactly what I did. Credit unions charge no service fees, and
have a $50 minimum for startup.

-Chuck