Old August 16th 03, 04:01 PM
John Haberkern

Stick with KWM-2 on H.f. great rig, get seperate s.w. receiver, more
flexible station that way. I use a icom 756 & 765 xcvr's but use drake r8a
as main sw receiver here. good luck. John

"William Mutch" wrote in message
ell.edu...
Recently passed general class after having let my old advanced
class license (KA1UL) lapse quite a few years aso. I have a couple of
partially restored boatanchors in the basement but am looking into
getting a more modern HF transciever...probably used, only a few years
old. So many manufacturers and moidels on the market these days...

What rigs would you guys look for with this list of features.

1. CW and SSB only...don't need AM, FM or FSK

2. RF output of 80 to 125 watts PEP max.

3. 12.6 V DC operation rather than 117v ac.

4. 80 to 15 meter bands minimum, 160 and WARC bands desirable.

5. RCVR section general coveage highly desirable.

6. some bells and whistles are nice but good overall RF
performance more important.

7. Simple operation and reputation for reliability.

I have an 80 meter off center fed dipole with tuner up and
working...What should I feed it with while finishing the restorations on
the Ranger and KWM2?

KC2LVQ