Old July 14th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Need help on QRM rejection ( WITHOUT A BEAM !!)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:42:10 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:00:01 -0500, Bob Bob wrote:

No doubt I will be mentioning stuff you have already tried and tested...
I assume you mean QRN rather than QRM?

Hi Bob
yes, QRN it is ... how foolish of me. sigh

Hi Chas,

Bobē asked for other tests that you either haven't done, or haven't
reported.

You need to examine more than antennas to solve your problem. I had a
noisy TR relay that did the same thing (bad contacts).

A good tech will attempt to partition his station by halves to
discover the source of noise. For you, simply short the input of your
rig. Does the noise go away? If so, your problem is external to the
rig (there's every chance that your problem is here, there's every
chance it isn't). A simple test like this can eliminate a world of
grief.

Bobē suggested killing power around the house. A very good suggestion
that removes local sources from remote sources. It is also a very
simple one too. Running off a battery with the complete house shut
down can tell you what your noise floor is.

Time of year is significant, along with weather conditions. Is this
noise seasonal? I had a bad telephone ground that got worse WITHOUT
rain (I live in rain city, so this was only an occasional problem that
seemed insoluble).

Your report:
there is no real static or tones or motorboating or anything distinctive. It
is just plain, old NOISE!!

is quite odd in that static is classic plain old NOISE!!!!!
You need to be more descriptive because this is not plain at all if it
is distinctly different from static.

If you have a portable SWL radio (or just an AM transistor radio), you
need to walk the neighborhood and see if the noise is generally heard,
or just on your block, or just in your lot. Neighbors with fishtanks
are a leading culprit.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC