Old July 14th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob Bob Bob is offline

Default How do you isolate a signal?

Hi Mike

An intermod product? Fundamental overload? Modern broadband design
amateur radios arent renown for good selectivity in strong signal
environments... I doubt they "splatter all over the band", its most
likely your receiver possibly in tandem with some other strong signal
mixing in the front end. It may even be coming direct to the IF.

First suggestion is to use a smaller antenna (thinking its an overload
situation). A directive antenna would be next with an inline attenuator
and scan around. Keep in mind that the signal you want to hear may not
even be in the radio's normal band coverage. Next is to try a different
radio (design) and scan with that. It is probably also worthwhile
listening to determine who they might be, then do a online database
lookup (if Canada has it) for that organisations name!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

VE2CJW wrote:
I have a funny problem here. I am using my dual band radio, a Kenwood
TM-G707 as a simple scanner and I have a problem in isolating a signal.