Old August 17th 03, 06:30 PM
John LeMay

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:19:00 -0700, Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

Mobile power. It is tempting to use the cigarette lighter plug for 12 Volts
to power the mobile radio and this may work for low power units, but it is
always best to run two heavy gage wires through the firewall and directly to
the battery via fuses in both lines. Don't use the chassis as a ground

While I agree, I'm looking for a portable solution to use in the 'yl's
vehicle so I can run a decent rig without drilling. I figure 10-20W is
adequate (I think the 1/4 wave antenna I have allocated for this use is
only rated at 20W anyhow). In a small temporary installation like this I
think using the lighter plug is good enough.

Of course while on the topic, What's the best way to connect to today's
side terminal batteries? I'd like to go from the battery's +/- in *my*
vehicle to a small fuse block where I can tie in before coming through the
firewall. Unfortunately I don't do a lot of auto wiring and firewall
drilling!

thanks!

--
John LeMay