Old August 19th 03, 01:44 PM
Dave Edwards

Somehow I just think that with such low level tones, and wires going to
switches
and resistors, you will have a tough time getting the accuracy required of
the tones to
be reliable.
But, I suppose everything is possible.
Let me know if you have any specific questions on the rig. I have one as
well.
.....Dave
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Greg Courville" wrote in message
Well, I paid $50 for the radio itself. I'm running on a non-existent

budget
here and would prefer to build, rather than buy, what I need.
My concern with running the pot lines to an external box is the

possibility
of interference.
Any insight?

-Greg

Greg,

I suspect that you should not have any problem with an external switching
setup if you use shielded 600 ohm mic cable for your interconnect, and
ground both ends of the shield. This should be no problem as long as the
low end of the original pot is at chassis ground. If this is the case,

run
ground to shield, red to high end and white to wiper, and you can use a 12
position rotary switch and pots in an aluminum project box. Make sure you
ground the project box to the shield, this will keep out RF. If you're
clever, you could use a series of resistors on the switch (you want a
NON-Shorting switch) with one end at ground and the other at the high end,
and use the switch wiper like a pot wiper...