Old July 15th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S. John S. is offline

Default Sangean ATS-505P versus Eton E5

weatherall wrote:
Wrote:
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know what your opinions are on these two
radios? I recently found an old shortwave radio of my dads and have
become interested in these types of radios. I would like to get a new
one for home but also for when I travel. These are the two I have
narrowed my search down to but am having a difficult time making a
decision between them. Could anyone give me some advice, reviews and
recommendations?
Thanks all,

Reviews of both are he
http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm

Be aware that the Eton E5 gobbles batteries even when turned off. I
own one and typically have to recharge the batteries after 2 months of
non-use. My E5 also came with a power adapter that generates
interference on shortwave bands. Other than those issues, I am happy
with my E5.

If you left the batteries on a shelf they would discharge too. What
makes you think the radio is somehow causing a drain.

I have yet to find a wall-wart power supply that didn't generate noise.
The one that came with my Sony 2010 did. Just keep using those nimh
batteries, but charge them in a separate wall mounted charger.

I have an ATS-505 as well, but I have much less usage experience with
it. It is larger than I expected and I find the sound that its speaker
makes to be unpleasant for some reason.

--
weatherall