Old July 16th 06, 02:22 AM
weatherall weatherall is offline
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S.
weatherall wrote: Reviews of both are he
http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm

Be aware that the Eton E5 gobbles batteries even when turned off. I
own one and typically have to recharge the batteries after 2 months of
non-use. My E5 also came with a power adapter that generates
interference on shortwave bands. Other than those issues, I am happy
with my E5.
[/i][/color]

If you left the batteries on a shelf they would discharge too. What
makes you think the radio is somehow causing a drain.
I use the same type of rechargeable batteries in my Eton E5 and my Sony ICF SW7600GR:

* batteries acquired at the same time
* charged in the same standalone charger
* swapped between the radios to factor out bad batteries

Side by side, rechargeable batteries last longer in the SW7600GR than in the E5. Even if I use the SW7600GR more in a particular time period, the E5 will still end up with depleted batteries first.

Now, let me tell you what I haven't yet tried. I don't know how accurate the battery level sensors are in these two radios. An excellent experiment would be: when the E5 shows that the batteries are too low, take them out and put them into the SW7600GR. Attempt to power on the Sony and see if I can get more life out of them before that radio declares them too low.
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/