Old July 18th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ben Jackson Ben Jackson is offline

Default 30m Shortened Dipole, matching question

I've used a couple programs (vertload.exe and I think LODI) to design
a shortened, single band dipole antenna for 30m. Specifically I'm
interested in 10.149MHz.

The result is:

--1m wire--[~34t 1.5" form 2" long, ~24uH]----2m wire----[center]--...

The center would be a 1:1 current balun, twisting the wires together
and then taking 10-12 turns on FT50-61 (or if that won't fit, fewer
turns on FT50-43).

The predicted resistive input impedance is 22 ohms. Vertload is just
simulating half the antenna (with 0 ohm ground loss) so its match info
is not useful. The other program called for a ".71uH matching coil"
for 50 feed, which I assume is to cancel a calculated -j45 reactive
component??

I would like to pre-calculate an approximate match to Z=50ohms which
I can put directly at the feed point and shrink-wrap with the balun.
Is there a way to do that, or is it too touchy to do without measuring
the actual antenna?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/